Hospital Bag Must-Haves

by - December 25, 2019


Packing the hospital bag may be stressful, especially if you're far along your pregnancy; therefore, try your best to have most of your bag packed and by the doorstep on standby. Different hospitals offer different services and gifts for the mother and newborn baby; however, it's better to have at least the basics with you so you don't get stressed or overwhelmed..
For me, I researched a lot about the things I needed to have in my hospital bag and asked a lot of my family members and friends for advice. Of course, there were some things that I didn't use, but there were also some things that I had to get or send my husband to buy. Luckily, though, my parents' house (where I was staying at the end of my pregnancy) was very close to the hospital, and the hospital itself was in a neighborhood close to baby shops and pharmacies. I also ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days and 2 nights, and so from my humble experience, I put together a list of things I have used in my stay, to hopefully help you with your packing :)

1. Going-home Outfit..  
For me, I found it was easiest to stay in my pajamas, so I put on my hijab and abaya, and it was
very comfortable. My water didn't break at all, so thankfully, my clothes stayed clean for me to wear on my journey back home; however, just in case, make sure you have spare clothes in case anything happens on the way!

2. Small Purse..
Make sure to have your important documents and belongings accessible and easy to reach. You're going to be in pain through your contractions and you don't want to open your whole bag and look for what you need - simply put everything important in a cross-body purse, such as your passport, ID, phone, hospital documents... etc, to have easier and faster access to them.

3. Nightgowns/ PJs..
Of course you're going to need clothes to sleep in! However, as I stayed in the hospital for 3 days and stayed in my fancy nightgown the whole time, it got dirty and smelly and so I had to change into another set of pjs.. So make sure to have a couple of nightclothes with you, unless you know that your hospital stay won't be long.
Try to get buttoned up nightclothes or nursing ones as they will make breastfeeding easier and more comfortable.

4. Nursing Bra..
Now that I'm 5 months into breastfeeding, I can say that having nursing bra isn't very necessary. However, when you're new to breastfeeding and finding everything uncomfortable or uneasy, wearing a nursing bra makes your life.. well, easier.

5. Socks & Slippers..
During labor, your feet might feel cold! So it's good to have socks with you just in case.. I actually ended up roaming the room in my socks only as my contractions became stronger. The slippers are also necessary for when you want to enter the toilet or even walk around.

6. Disposable Underwear & Large Menstrual Pads..
Of course, after delivery, you bleed, and so prepare yourself (both physically and mentally) for the floods! Wearing large maxi pads and disposable underwear was very comfortable for me as I could just throw away the pair when it got dirty.

7. Make Up!
Not too much makeup - just what you need for photos and when you have guests over.

8. Toiletries..
A toothbrush, tooth paste, comb, deodorant.. are all very important things; I also needed dry shampoo as I felt too dirty but too tired to shower. A razor for shaving might also come in handy.



1. New Born Outfits..  
As I said, I stayed in the hospital for 3 days. Therefore, I needed a onesie for when my baby was first born, another after her first bath which was the next day, and I had a third one with me in case of a blow-out emergency.
If you don't want to get a lot of new born clothes, of course you can put your baby in 0-3m clothes, but they're going to be very baggy 😊

2. Mittens & A Hat..  For when their cute, little hands and head get cold.

3. A Blanket..  To keep them warm and cozy.

4. Diapers & Wipes..  
Some hospitals provide diapers, but grab some diapers and wipes with you just in case you needed more.

5. A Pacifier.. 
Even though a lot of people are against pacifiers, I found it very helpful to have one with me.
I didn't give it to my baby until she was like, 2 days old, and she loved it. Some babies won't take it, though, so of course, it's up to you.

6. Toiletries & Towel..  
Again, the hospital may provide them for your baby, but in my case, the hospital didn't provide a towel or wash clothes, so I had to get mine with me the next day when they wanted to bathe her.

7. Installed Car seat.. 
Even though I just carried my baby in my arms while I sat in the back, some hospitals won't let you leave until the car seat is installed, for safety reasons.



In the list below, I also added some things your partner may need and extras for you to remember.
Of course, experiences vary as well as hospital "policies"; however, being prepared for everything keeps your mind at ease..




Hope you find this helpful if you're a first-time-pregnant-mommy-to-be! 😜
If you've already been through this, share with us down below what you have needed or packed but didn't need 💚

Until next time,
Aya

You May Also Like

0 comments