DIY ~ Dreaming with crayons

by - October 05, 2015

Salam peeps! I'm back with another DIY project, one in which I really love and wanted to share with you <3
Melting crayons has been a trend for quite some time on the net, and my friend, Jana, and I once created beautiful canvas using the technique of sticking bare crayons on the top of our canvas and a quote of our choice using foam core board the way we wanted, and melted the crayons vertically using the blow dryer... Mine's on the left, and Jana's on the right:





The end result was quite adorable, not so perfect though, but it doesn't matter! It was so much fun to make that I decided to create another canvas using a different technique, and this is how I did it ~







The things I used were:

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ A background to work on as this project is a bit - very - messy. I first used a black A2 paper, later to find out that I needed more coverage of the floor as the crayons splashed everywhere!
☜(⌒▽⌒)☞ A canvas, of course.
☜(゚ヮ゚☜) Crayons, and I used the colors green of different shades, same with the red, and white.
☜(⌒▽⌒)☞ A plastic knife to hold the crayons in place as I heated them.
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ I chose to have the word 'DREAM' on my canvas, and so I traced and cut it from a foam core board. I also doodled a little bit on the letters, but you'll see how I changed that later on.
☜(⌒▽⌒)☞ Finally, of course, a blow hair dryer..



And here is what I did:

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ I first arranged the broken, naked crayons randomly so I could roughly imagine how the master piece would eventually look like.
 ☜(⌒▽⌒)☞ I then started heating the crayons, one at a time. I used to the plastic knife to hold them in place as they would literately roll and  fly across the room, and the blow dryer heat is very hot to hold the pieces down myself.









☜(゚ヮ゚☜) It truly looked beautiful especially as I tried to blend in the colors together, but I then decided to use the previous method as well to add more color and direction to the canvas. So I placed the colors in the direction I wanted and heated them up, later to remove the pieces and place the letters in their positions to hide the traces.
















☜(⌒▽⌒)☞ At first I was happy with how the letters looked, but then I decided to carry on with the flowing concept I had created and drew dripping shapes on the letters.

I then filled the shapes with glue using a hot glue gun to create a 3D effect and painted the letters in white acrylic paint.

Alhamdulillah, it turned out beautiful as I set it near my bed on a wooden holder I got from from a cheap Japanese store called Daiso.





If you liked this DIY make sure to try it yourself and tweet me your creations! Until the next blogpost, keep dreaming x


You May Also Like

0 comments